Best VR Technology Sentinel has realized that budget is a concern for customers. Now it is possible to order a standard Sentinel LSS (Life Support System) and upgrade the system as your budget allows.
The standard model does not have a CO2 monitor gauge, off-board gas blocks, or breathing hose covers, but is equipped standard with a BOV, on-board decompression, and a back plate.
This device – Optocons Complete is equipped with BOV, Deco software, Wing and Harness, 2 liter cylinders & constant electronics with backup display.
If you are looking for a Sentinel rebreather, then you can choose from their different packages with the necessary upgrades.
Choosing a Rebreather: Why Sentinel?
There are many quality rebreathers available with proper safety measures, but they all have different features. What’s important is to find the features which suit you most, not what someone else recommends.
If you need help figuring it all out, check for a retailer where you can easily compare all the possible units, then narrow your selection down to the unit that you want.
Already know what you want? Browse the units listed by manufacturer below. VR Technology’s has all the unique features and all the units you want in it, and surely will meet your all needs.
Unlike traditional design, this device includes a single back-mounted counterlung. This means you are once again equipped with a clear chest for stages, cameras and just squeezing through tight gaps.
Both a diver (with vibrating alarm) and buddy HUD mean that everyone is getting information of the state of your device, which is an useful feature when team diving. A passive back-up display provides an alternative source for monitoring PO2 in the loop.
Let’s see how the features of the VR Technology make it unique from the others. Some of the unique features are:
- It is an electronics-driven, fully closed circuit PO2 design (eCCR) that provides a smart and easy to use life-support system (LSS)
- It has a unique, single 4.8 liter back-mounted counterlung (BCL) attached via an easy-disconnect system to the canister head
- It has a bail-out valve (BOV), and is totally removable
- It has the most intelligently-programmed integrated software for a rebreather on the market, with electronics designed for smart monitoring.
- The electronics head holds the battery compartment and the three oxygen sensors
- Any PO2 drop triggers an auto turn-on with the detection of breathing or at greater than 1.6 atm. absolute pressure
- It has diver- and back-mounted Heads-Up Displays (HUDs) that are configured for color blind and highly stressed divers through positioning and flashing or solid state. There is an alarm with vibration on diver HUD
- It is integrated with highly reliable Poseidon Xtreme first-stage regulators
- To fit the contours of the outer case, a lightweight stainless steel backplate is included
- It is rechargeable
- Depth: Maximum depth 100m/330ft
- Weight: 31kg/68lbs without cylinders
- It is available with optional CO2 monitor, VGM, Hose Covers, 5mm backplate, and Off Board Whip Kit.
Some Pros and Cons
The unit automatically calibrates in air. One also needs to calibrate the CO2 sensor so the scrubber is activated by a trigger mechanism into a special seal in the canister.
In the past and with other brands, the spring base previously used to seal the canister caused many safety issues because the seal did not hold. However, the Sentinel has an automated process using a self adjusting triple lip seal.
“Unscrewing” the canister needs some force. Electrical wire is replaced by fiber optics. When in a dark room, the Sentinel looks like a Christmas tree.
There are flashing lights all over the place: the two HUD’s, the tow pressure sensors, the O2 sensors, and the temp sticks (to measure the temperature of the scrubber).
However, many people have died as a result of forgetting to turn their units on, and it is very hard to forget this step with a unit that lights up so brightly.