Using supplements to get more out of your workout is something that people have been doing for years. But the supplement market is complex and filled with a number of poor products.
In fact, the majority of muscle building nutrition aren’t as effective as they claim to be. Moreover, many of them are made for men so it’s difficult to tell if they’re also suitable for women.
In this article, we discuss in detail how supplements aid with building muscle before, during and after a workout and then we’ll give you our opinion about top muscle building supplements for women on the market.
How Supplements Can Help Women Build Muscle
There are hundreds of bodybuilding nutrition available on the market today but before anything else, let’s talk about the purpose of these supplements. Are they effective at all?
First off, it’s important to understand that every brand of muscle building supplement will likely have a different effect on each individual.
If you have a goal or a target, a bodybuilding supplement will be able to help you achieve that goal. Some muscle building supplements will get your heart pumping and your blood flowing, while others won’t. The goal is to try each one for yourself until you find the one that works for you.
A good supplement is only as good as your workout regime. While the protein found in the supplement will help, the muscles need to be used and worked to a point where the protein will be effective for strengthening and empowering the muscle during the workout.
It should also aid with recovery. But if you don’t work out, don’t expect the supplement to do all the work for you.
It’s also important to use supplements in moderation. For example, don’t take more powder than necessary as this could be stressful for your liver and kidneys to process.
When taking any supplement, educate yourself on the proper measure and appropriate amount to get the most out of the supplement and the workout. The packaging on most quality nutrition will give you clear instructions.
As a woman, bodybuilding nutrition can be beneficial because girls don’t have as much testosterone as men in their bodies. As a result, sometimes we need that extra boost that supplements can give.
Our top picks
When it comes to bodybuilding nutrition for girls, I’d recommend you start with a protein powder and a creatine. There are a number of other nutrition available, but these are the best place to start if you want to kick start strength growth.
Creatine helps you workout longer and harder while protein powder helps you recover and gives your body the nutrients it needs to rebuild your muscles after your workouts. They make a great combo.
Whey Protein Powder:
- Whey Protein powder is a great place to start. We’ve set out other excellent protein powders here.
- As far as specific products go, we recommend Optimum Nutrition’s Whey as a great brand. Coming in five different sizes, the most popular product in the line of Optimum Nutrition is the 100% Whey and it isn’t difficult to see why. Optimum Nutrition is unparalleled in terms of its quality, contents and nutritional value.
- Available in several great flavours such as banana cream, caramel toffee fudge, chocolate malt, chocolate mint, cookies and cream, delicious strawberry, double rich chocolate, extreme milk chocolate, French vanilla cream, mocha cappuccino, rocky road, strawberry banana, tropical punch, and vanilla ice cream, you won’t have a problem choosing one that appeals to you. According to Optimum Nutrition’s website, their protein contains Whey Isolates which are the purest form of whey protein today.
- Creatine Powder is an excellent supplement product that is geared at building strength. Essentially, creatine gives your muscles more fuel once ATP is depleted.
- As with the whey discussed above, we recommend an Optimum Nutrition creatine product as a great place to start. Their creatine product comes in five different sizes and every serving provides you with 5 grams of 99.9% pure Creatine Monohydrate. Creatine powder has no taste or smell which makes it almost undetectable whether you choose to mix it with milk, juice or water.
- This product was formulated for supporting strength and power, enhancing performance especially for exercises that are of a higher intensity, boosting energy levels, and aiding in recovery.
Branched Chain Amino Acids:
- BCAAs are another important supplement that can help women build more muscle. These amines are crucially important for building strength. See our further discussion of BCAAs for women here.
- As far as products go, there are several good ones on the market. NLA for her offers an Amino Acid formula that is specifically designed for women (Click here for more info about that product). I’m sure we will start seeing more of these female focused BCAA products in the future.
- Check here for current prices on BCAA products.
These products are a great place to start. We’ve also set out some recommendations about pre-workout nutrition for women and other whey protein products.
Whatever product you decide to choose, supplements are a great way to push your fitness regime to the next level. Let us know if you have any questions by leaving a comment below.